VirtualSHU is a Multi User Virtual Environment (MUVE) in which students can login and interact with each others and the environment.
It is a persistend virtual world, based on the Opensimulator MUVE
VirtualSHU is a 3D Multi User Virtual Environment which we are using for educational purposes at Sheffield Hallam University and not only. In VirtualSHU, our students can immerse and coexist in a state of the art 3D environment and actively participate in collaborative and engaging learning activities.
To date, VirtualSHU is used to support the Introduction to ICT module for Business and Technology undergraduate students, for several final year dissertation projects, exibitions, meetings and collaborations between other educational institutions.
In this website, you can find information about all our projects which involve 3D Virtual Worlds, Virtual Reality, Mobile Based Virtual Reality, and Augmented Reality.
VirtualSHU is a great addition to learning! It makes learning much more fun and engaging! It is a great addition to learningJake
Such an immersive environment!!! We are really enjoying this!Latour
VirtualSHU provides us the opportunity to attend in interactive and immersive activities. Its so engaging and so much fun!Mary
We are collaborating, communicating and learning together!Hannah
Viewer Download and Configuration
To connect to the environment from HOME, you need to download the Firestorm Viewer from here: HERE (Available for all platforms).
You then need to launch and configure the viewer as follows:
- Click on Viewer menu on the top left of your screen, and choose Preferences
- Choose Opensim menu.
- In the Grid Manager tab, where Add a New Grid, add the following address: http://makinen.hallam.shu.ac.uk:9000
- Press Apply, then OK
- Use your username (First Name and Last Name) and password to connect.
* Please respect the environment and the other users
* Please note that there may be changes to the environment’s layout as students are using it for several projects.